Baklava is a sweet pastry that is popular in many countries in the Middle East, Balkans, and Mediterranean regions. It is made from layers of thin, flaky phyllo pastry that are brushed with butter or oil and then filled with chopped nuts, typically pistachios, walnuts, or almonds, and sweetened with syrup or honey. The pastry is then cut into diamond or triangular shapes and baked until crispy and golden.
These Baklava Pinwheels is my twist to the traditional Baklava recipe. Instead of phyllo pastry, I am using puff pastry here and filling it with cream cheese and walnuts. The baked pastry is then soaked in a delicious orange honey syrup. It is easier and faster to make than a baklava and you can certainly impress your family and guests with this too.
With the use of puff pastry, we do not have to keep layering and filling as in the case of phyllo pastry. The texture certainly differs but if you want to make a quick sweet at home, then this one is a must-try!
Baklava PinwheelsCourse: SweetsDifficulty: Easy
A quick, easy and delicious twist to the classic Baklava recipe
- For the syrup
Honey – ½ cup
Sugar – ¼ cup
Water – 2 tbsp
Orange Zest – from ½ an orange
Cinamon Stick – a ½-inch piece
Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
Salt – a tiny pinch
- For the filling
Cream Cheese – 150 gms
Honey – 1 tbsp
Honey-Orange Syrup – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon Powder – ¼ tsp
Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
Walnuts – ½ cup, roasted and chopped
- Other Ingredients
Puff Pastry Sheet – 1, thawed
Milk – 2 tbsp
- In a sauce pan, add honey, sugar, water, orange zest, cinnamon stick, vanilla essence and salt and mix well. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes till it thickens a little. Keep it aside to cool down.
- In a bowl, add the cream cheese, honey, honey orange syrup, cinnamon powder and vanilla essence and mix well. Add more honey or syrup if you prefer more sweetness.
- Unroll the thawed puff pastry sheet and roll it lightly.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture all over the puff pastry, leaving about ½ an inch on one of the shorter edges.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on the cream cheese cheese mix and then start rolling, starting from the shorter edge opposite to the one which is left a little without the filling. Roll it tight and then cut into slices.
- Place the pinwheels on the prepared baking tray. Brush some milk on all the pinwheels and bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 18-20 min till the pinwheels are a golden-brown color.
- Remove it from oven and drizzle them with the honey orange syrup while still warm and serve.