Can we ever have too many recipes for gravy based chicken dishes? For chicken lovers, I believe it is never so. Kadai Chicken is a recipe which many of us end up ordering at restaurants or ordering in at home as a side dish with roti as well as rice.
The flavours for a Kadai Chicken come primarily from a mix of roasted and ground whole spices. You can always prepare the kadai masala in larger quantity when you have time and then use it as needed. This same masala can be used not just to cook chicken but also other ingredients like paneer, mushroom etc.
If you are looking for more recipes using chicken, then do check this out.
Kadai ChickenCourse: SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Moderate
An extremely flavourful chicken gravy dish!
- For Marination
Chicken – 250 gms
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Ginger-Garlic Paste -1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp
- For Kadai Masala
Coriander Seeds – 1.5 tsp
Peppercorn – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1
- For Gravy
Ghee/Oil – 1-2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
Garlic – 2-3 cloves, thinly sliced
Ginger – ¼-inch piece, thinly sliced
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Kadai Masala – 1 tsp
Salt – ¼-½ tsp
Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
Tomato Puree – ¼ cup
Curd – 2 tbsp
Fresh Cream – ½ tbsp
Hot water – 2 tbsp
Kadai Masala – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – ¼ tsp
Onion – 1 small, diced
Green Capsicum – ½ piece, diced
Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Marinate the chicken with salt, ginger-garlic paste and red chilli powder and keep it aside for 15 min.
- Dry roast the whole spices – coriander seeds, peppercorn, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chilli till fragrant. Let it cool down and then grind it to a powder and keep it aside.
- Add ghee/oil in a kadai and once it heats up, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter. Fry the ginger and garlic till they start to change color.
- Add the chicken to this and cook it till it is almost cooked through.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, prepared kadai masala and salt and mix well.
- Once the raw smell of spices is no longer there, add the tomatoes and tomato puree and cook it till the tomatoes are cooked through.
- To this, add the curd, cream, hot water, kadai masala and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Finally, add the onion and capsicum and mix well. Cook it till the onions wilt a little but are still crunchy. Add the coriander leaves and mix and serve hot with rotis or nan.