Another quick and easy sweet you can prepare with readily available ingredients and which looks impressive too! These coffee rolls recipe is what I have learnt from my aunt, who used to make it often and I loved having these at her place. She used to make these in a miniature size, but I decided to make it like swiss rolls and these are definitely like a no-bake instant version of swiss rolls!
I have flavoured these with instant coffee powder, but for chocolate lovers, you can always reduce the coffee powder and add some cocoa powder for a nice chocolate flavour. Did you know that a tad bit of coffee added to any chocolate dish actually enhances the chocolate flavour. So yeah, do not skip the coffee powder completely in this recipe.
You can keep the filling simple and make a basic buttercream by mixing together room temperature butter and powdered sugar, or you can make a Russian buttercream filling using condensed milk like I have shared. I have also tried this with a filling of instant rabdi for an Indian flavour and that tasted great too with the outer biscuit cover in chocolate.
Coffee RollsCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
A No-Bake Instant Swiss Rolls made in coffee flavour and a filling of Russian Buttercream!
- **For the biscuit covering
Digestive Biscuits – 150 gms
Instant Coffee Powder – 1-2 tsp (adjust as per taste)
Sugar – 2-3 tbspt
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Milk – 2-3 tbsp (to make into a smooth dough)
- For the filling
Butter – 100 gms, soft and at room temperature
Condensed Milk – 100 gms, at room temperature
Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
- To prepare the filling, whisk the butter till it is light and fluffy.
- Add the condensed milk, salt and vanilla essence and whisk till everything is well combined. Mix it all together with a spatula and keep it aside.
- Into a blender jar, add the digestive biscuits, instant coffee powder, sugar and salt.
- You can adjust the quantity of coffee powder depending on how strong coffee flavour you prefer. Similarly, the quantity of sugar can be adjusted as per taste too.
- Grind it all together to a fine powder.
- Transfer this to a bowl and add milk little by little and knead it into a smooth dough. Flatten the dough between two butter papers and roll to uniform thickness.
- Remove the top butter paper sheet and spread the filling evenly all over. Roll the coffee rolls into a tight roll. Keep it wrapped and refrigerated for half an hour.
- Slice it into pieces and serve.