If you think about Christmas cookies, the one image that will surely come to your mind are the Gingerbread cookies. These sweet cookies with hints of spice is perfect to have with a cup of hot chocolate or hot coffee during the winter time.
Traditionally, Gingerbread cookies use molasses for the flavour and color. However, since it is not a readily available ingredient in India, I have made these Gingerbread Cookies without the molasses and instead have used a combination of brown sugar and jaggery. And these are eggless too.
So no reason why you should not try making these Gingerbread Cookies this Christmas season
Gingerbread CookiesCourse: Cookies
A delicious cookie with a hint of spices!
Maida – 1 cup
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Ginger Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Powder – 1/8 tsp
Cloves Powder – a tiny pinch
Butter – 1/4 cup, soft at room temperature
Brown Sugar – 1/4 cup
Jaggery Powder – 2 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Cold Milk – 2-2.5 tbsp
- Eggless Royal Icing (optional)
Icing Sugar – ½ cup
Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
Milk – 1-1.5 tbsp (add as needed)
- Mix together maida, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ginger powder, cinnamon powder and cloves powder.
- Cream together butter, brown sugar and jaggery powder. To this, add the vanilla essence and whisk well.
- Add all the dry ingredients to this and give it a nice mix.
- Add milk little by little and make it into a smooth dough. Refrigerate the dough for 10-15 min if it seems too soft.
- Roll it out between 2 parchment papers and then cut into desired shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Bake at 175C for 14-15 min till underside of cookies are done. Let it cool down completely and decorate with royal icing if needed.
- For the royal icing, mix together icing sugar and cornstarch. To this, add the vanilla essence and milk little by little and mix well using a fork till a thick piping consistency is reached. Transfer to a piping back and use it to decorate the gingerbread cookies.