For those unfamiliar with red velvet, let me take you through a quick briefing about what this gorgeous little dessert flavor is like. Traditional red velvet desserts aren’t vanilla flavored or chocolate flavored. They are a combination of the two with a slightly tart tang from the buttermilk used in most recipes.
Today’s brownies are basically a fudge chocolate brownie with lots of buttery vanilla flavors. The brownie batter is red, tinted with red food coloring and a touch of white vinegar to make the red stand out against all the cocoa powder. They are beautifully swirled with sweet cream cheese on top and are quite dense like a typical brownie.
These brownies need no dressing up as they are so pretty by themselves due to the cheesecake swirls on the top. These are just the perfect dessert to end your Valentine’s Day meal with your loved one!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl BrowniesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Moderate
These brownies are pretty easy to make and are the perfect recipe for red velvet beginners.
- For the brownie layer
Eggs – 2
Castor Sugar – 1 cup
Melted Butter – ½ cup
Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp
White Vinegar – 1 tsp
Red Gel Food Color – 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour – ¾ cup
Cocoa Powder – ¼ cup
Salt – 1/8 tsp
- For cheesecake layer
Cream Cheese – 180 gms
Granulated Sugar – 3 tbsp
Egg Yolk – 1
Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
- Preheat the oven at 175 C. Grease and line an 8-inch square baking tin.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg and sugar till light and creamy.
- To this, add the melted butter, vanilla essence, vinegar and red food color.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Fold this into the batter till just combined.
- Pour this into the cake tin, leaving aside 2-3 tbsp of the batter.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla essence on medium speed till smooth and combined.
- Add this mixture on top of the brownie batter and spread it.
- Add the remaining brownie mix on top and create swirls using a knife or skewer to lightly mix together both the layers.
- Bake this at 175 C for about 30 min till the top looks done and a skewer inserted comes out with a few crumbs of the brownie batter.
- Let the brownies cool down completely before cutting into pieces.