Now that we have covered cakes and desserts for Christmas, how about some wine… And when it is cold outside, a hot mulled wine is just perfect!
Let’s cozy up with some mulled wine. Turn on some music, build a fire or light some candles, throw some spices and wine in a pot, and embrace the holiday season. It’s really that simple.
Mulled WineCourse: DrinksCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
This traditional homemade mulled wine recipe is incredibly easy to make and always SO cozy and delicious.
Water – 1 cup
Sugar – 1-2 tbsp (if needed)
Orange Juice – ¼ cup
Star Anise – 2
Cloves – 4
Cinnamon Sticks – Two 2-inch pieces
Nutmeg – a small piece, crushed
Orange Slices – a few
Red Wine – 500 ml
- Add the water, sugar (as needed), orange juice, star anise, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil.
- Cover it and let it simmer till the flavours from the spices seep through the liquid.
- Cook it for another couple of minutes uncovered so that the water reduces a little.
- Add the orange slices to this along with half of the wine and let it boil for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining wine.
- This will ensure the alcohol of the wine is not completely lost by the heating.
- Strain the mulled wine and add it to the serving glasses.
- Garnish with orange slices, some whole spices and serve hot/warm.