This one is a Navratri Special – Sama Rice Pulao also known as Vrat Ke Chawal. Since during fasting we abstain from cereal grains, so to make rice based dish we can use sama rice.
Sama rice is a good healthy option during fasting days and also makes for a good gluten free grain. An easy and simple pulao recipe made with a choice of vegetables with sama rice. You may also make this recipe for day to day breakfast or as a lunch box meal. It doesn’t take a long time to cook and can be made like a pulao or as a khichdi.
Sama Rice (Barnyard Millet) PulaoCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Navratra special sama pulao recipe for the win.
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Peppercorn – 3-4
Cloves – 2
Green Cardamom – 1
Ginger – 1/2-inch piece, finely chopped
Green chilli – 1, slit
Potato – 1 small, boiled and cubed
Sama Rice (Barnyard Millet) – 1/2 cup
Hot Water – 1 cup
Rock salt/Sendha Namak – 3/4-1 tsp
Buttermilk – 1/2 cup
Roasted Peanuts, deskinned – 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves – a few, chopped fine
Step by Step Process
- Rinse the sama rice well in water and soak it for 20-30 min.
- Add the ghee in a kadai and add the cumin seeds.
- Once it crackles, add the peppercorns, cloves and cardamom and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add the ginger and green chilli and cook for a minute.
- Add potato cubes and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the sama rice and saute for a few minutes.
- Add hot water and salt and cover and cook till most of the water is absorbed.
- Give it a stir and add the buttermilk and cover and cook again till the rice absorbs most of the liquid and is cooked well.
- Use a fork and fluff up the rice.
- Add the roasted peanuts and coriander leaves.
- Mix well and serve hot.