Taboulleh is a salad of Lebanese origin which is also traditionally served as part of the mezze platter in the Arab countries. It’s key ingredient is parsley. The traditional recipe uses bulgar wheat, but nowadays other replacements like quinoa are also used. The recipe I am sharing here uses quinoa as that is a readily available ingredient for us.
Taboulleh is an extremely healthy salad. Parsley has anti-oxidant properties and there is enough fiber and carbohydrates from the bulgar wheat or quinoa. It also improves detoxification of the body.
Taboulleh SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: LebaneseDifficulty: Easy
An easy to make healthy salad using parsley leaves.
Quinoa – ¼ cup, uncooked
Water – ½ cup
Parsley Leaves – 2 bunches, about 1-1.5 cups chopped
Mint leaves chopped – ¼ cup
Tomato – 1 large, deseeded and chopped
Green Onion – ¼ cup, sliced thin
Olive Oil – 3 tbsp
Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
Garlic – 2-3 cloves, finely chopped
Salt – as per taste
- Wash the quinoa in a strainer under running water till the water runs clear. Add this to a pan and start roasting.
- The seeds will dry up and then start popping. At this stage, add the water and cook it covered till the water is all absorbed.
- Use a fork and spread it and then keep it aside for cooling.
- Remove the stems from the parsley and chop the leaves fine.
- In a bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- To this, add the parsley leaves, mint leaves, tomato, green onion and cooled quinoa and mix well.
- Serve with bread or crackers.