This is another popular Ifthar snack from Hyderabad. Like the Hyderabadi Dahi Vade, this recipe was also shared by my sister’s friend Abida. The moment I heard about this, I knew this was perfect for my Tuesday Health Series recipes as well. The flavours in this are kept simple, so you get the taste of the dal as well. And chana dal or the split bengal gram usually doesn’t cook to a mushy stage, so you get that bite as you eat this as well.
This can be made ahead in time and served at the time of Iftar or any other meal. If you are looking for more Iftar recipes, do check out the earlier recipes I have shared. I will also be sharing more such easy to make recipes from different cuisines over the course of the next two weeks…:)
Hyderabadi Chana Dal ChaatCourse: SnacksCuisine: Indian, HyderabadiDifficulty: Easy
An easy to make snack using split bengal gram or chana dal
Split bengal gram dal or chana dal – 1 cup
Water – 350 ml
Green chilli – 2, chopped fine (used 1 big)
Chopped coriander leaves – 1.5 tbsp
Chopped mint leaves – 1.5 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Step by Step Process
- Rinse and clean the chana dal and then soak it in water overnight.
- Transfer the soaked dal along with the water into a pan and let it cook covered for 8-10 min till the dal is cooked through, but doesn’t become too soft. Alternately, you can also pressure cook this for one or two whistles.
- Cook further on high flame to evaporate the water. Let this cool down to room temperature.
- In a bowl, add the chana dal along with the green chilli, coriander and mint leaves, black pepper, lemon juice and salt.
- Mix well and serve.
- This snack refrigerates well too, so can be made ahead and kept too.