Dips and sauces are an essential accompaniment with any meal. A dip or a sauce could take a simple dish to a whole new level. And as a mother, I do try to sneak in some healthy ingredients too when I make dips.
Many kids have a general aversion towards anything green on their plate. Mine are no different. Not that they don’t eat their greens, but the happiness when you place a bowl of junk food in front of them vs when you have a healthy plate of food is very different..:) When my cousin sister shared a pic of a spinach dip she had made for a get together, I was interested. She sent me the details on how she had made and I realised that unlike many other spinach dip recipes I had come across, she did not use mayonnaise.
I added my own little changes to the recipes and tried out the spinach dip and served it as a spread with toasted bread to my son. He happily finished it and asked for more. But knowing his mom, he also questioned me on the ingredients. The moment I said spinach, his instant reaction was that it did not taste like spinach at all. And he was happy to eat spinach if it was served like this. Of course, happy me and happy him…;)
No Mayo Spinach DipCourse: DipsDifficulty: Easy
A quick, easy and healthy Spinach dip without any mayonnaise added!
Spinach – 50 gms
Spring onions – 2 sprigs
Cream cheese – 1/3 cup (about 40 gms)
Greek yoghurt – 1/6 cup (about 45 gms)
Onion powder – 1 TSP
Garlic powder – 1/2 TSP
Dehydrated soup powder – 1/2 tbsp (optional)
Salt – as per taste
Pepper – as per taste
Chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Heat water in a pan. Once it’s boiling, switch it off and place a collander with the cleaned spinach leaves on it for 1/2-1 min till it wilts.
- Keep turning the leaves to ensure all leaves wilt properly.
- Chop the leaves into thin strips.
- Chop the spring onion greens and whites.
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese and Greek yoghurt.
- To this, add the onion powder, garlic powder, dehydrated soup powder, salt, pepper and chilli flakes and mix well.
- Add spinach and spring onions to this and mix well.
- This is a great dip for chips and nachos and makes for an awesome filling for sandwiches too.