I love pies – both sweet and savoury ones. I love experimenting with the fillings too. So when I was trying out the recipe for a chicken pie which will cater to the requirements of those on a Keto diet, I decided to keep it simple with a white sauce filling using cream cheese and fresh cream. Unlike a traditional pie, which has a base and a top, this pot pie doesn’t have a base. So that makes it all the more easier to make. Once the filling is made, you have to put it into your baking dish and top it up with the pie crust. And bake it!
When I first made this pie at home, I wasn’t sure if my family will like it. But they just surprised me. I had to actually keep a piece hidden from them for myself else that was also going to disappear in no time…:) There are few of my recipes in the blog which keep coming up in their requests to make again, and this is one of them. Being a keto recipe, it is high on fat. So when making it for my family, I reduce the quantity of cream in the filling and replace it with a little milk and then let the sauce thicken for a little while longer. I like making these in ramekins so everyone has one each to themselves and no hassles of portioning from a larger pie..;)
Keto Chicken Pot PieCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
This chicken pot pie is a quick and easy recipe which is perfect as a full meal.
- For the filling
Butter – 2 tbsp
Boneless chicken – 250 gms, cut into small pieces
Garlic cloves – 5-6, thinly sliced
Mushroom – 200 gms, sliced thin
Broccoli – 100 gms, chopped into small pieces
Red bell peppers – a small piece, finely chopped
Italian seasoning – 1-2 tbsp
Chilli flakes – 1 tbsp
Salt and pepper as per taste
Chicken stock – 1/4 cup
Cream cheese – 1/2 cup, at room temperature
Cream – 1 cup
- For the pie crust
Grated Mozarella cheese – 1 cup
Cream cheese – 2 tbsp
Coconut/almond flour – 2/3 cup
Italian seasoning – 1 tsp
Egg – 1, beaten, to brush the top
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- In a pan, heat half the butter and add the boneless chicken to it. Fry it till the chicken browns and cooks. Remove the chicken.
- In the same pan, add the remaining butter and the garlic and fry till brown.
- Next, add the mushrooms, broccoli and bell pepper and saute on medium to high flame till the vegetables are partially cooked.
- Add the chicken stock and the chicken pieces and let it come to a boil.
- To this, add the cream cheese and cream and stir well. Add the seasonings and turn off heat. The filling for the pot pie is ready.
- For making the pie crust, microwave the mozarella cheese and cream cheese till melted.
- Quickly add the almond/coconut flour and mix well. It should form a soft dough.
- Remove it onto a parchment paper and roll it between two sheets to 1/2 cm thickness. Cut out circles as per the size of the ramekin top. Alternatively, just use your hands and make small discs the size of the ramekin top.
- Grease the ramekins with some melted butter. Spoon the chicken mixture into the ramekins first.
- Top the filling in each ramekin with the pie crust.
- Brush the top with the beaten egg.
- Make one or two cuts on the pie crust to let the air out while baking.
- Bake at 180 C for about 15-17 min till top is golden brown.