When it comes to Keto diet, there are restrictions when it comes to having sweets. There are some natural zero calorie sweeteners that do come to our rescue. Though the taste is different compared to the regular sugar we are used to, but these definitely do help in satisfying those sweet cravings you may be having.
I have made this Coconut Burfi using Stevia. If you are not on a Keto diet, but want to look at a healthier sweet option, then coconut sugar is a great option too for this recipe.
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Ms. Teresa George, who is the regional head of nutrition at HealthifyMe.
Do check out my other easy-to-make Keto recipes too..
Few things to keep in mind
- Stevia: I have used Stevia in this recipe. In case you are not preparing this as part of a Keto diet, you can use coconut sugar too to make it a healthier sweet. To make this recipe using coconut sugar, replace the stevia in the recipe with 3-4 tbsp of coconut sugar and reduce the quantity of coconut milk to 1/2 cup. The coconut sugar and coconut milk can be added together with the grated coconut so that it all cooks well and then the rest of the flavoring ingredients are added.
- Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Stevia – 4-5 tsp
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Grated Fresh Coconut – 2 cups
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
- Chopped Almonds – 1-1.5 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
Step by Step Process
- Add Stevia to a little coconut milk and stir it well. Keep this aside.
- In a pan, heat the ghee and add the grated coconut and the remaining of the coconut milk.
- Keep stirring this on medium heat till the coconut is cooked through. The coconut mixture should not change its color. The ghee will slowly start separating too.
- At this stage, add the stevia with the coconut milk, cardamom powder, almonds (you can reserve some almonds to sprinkle on top too) and salt and mix it all well. Take it off heat and keep it.
- Line a dish with some parchment paper and apply some ghee to it. Spread the burfi mix evenly onto it and press it gently all around. Cut it into desired shapes and let it cool completely before unmoulding. You can also refrigerate it for some time to let it set properly.