With the COVID-19 scare all around us, it is important we work on building our immunity. Some very common spices in our pantry have properties that can really work for us in this time. This Turmeric and Ginger drink is now a regular feature at home. I make 2-3 litres of this every day in the morning and make sure everyone in the family has at least 2 glasses of this.
Both turmeric and ginger have powerful anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. They both help in building the immune system, so together form a powerful combination. Both these are really helpful to fight colds and chest congestion. The main active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin which has high anti-inflammatory effects and is a strong anti-oxidant. However, our body doesn’t absorb curcumin easily into the bloodstream. Hence, it helps to consume black pepper, which contains piperine, along with this which improves the absorption of curcumin.
Few things to keep in mind
- Turmeric: I have turmeric powder in this recipe since I did not get fresh turmeric. If you do get fresh turmeric, you can use that instead.
- Tulsi (Holy Basil) Leaves: Since I had tulsi leaves in my garden, I have used that. If you do not have it, you can skip it.
- Honey and Lemon: We drink this as-is. However, while serving you can add a dash of lemon juice and some honey too to enhance the taste as well as the benefits of the drink.
- Water – 2 litres
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 an inch piece, crushed
- Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tulsi (Holy Basil) Leaves – a few, optional
- Lemon Juice and Honey – to serve, if needed
Step by Step Process
- Pour water into a vessel and let it come to a boil. You can keep it covered till it starts boiling.
- As the water starts boiling, add the turmeric powder, ginger, pepper powder and tulsi leaves.
- Keep it covered for half a minute as it continues boiling and turn off the heat. It is important that you do not boil this for a long time.
- Sieve it and keep it aside.
- At the time of serving, you can add a dash of lemon juice and honey too. It is always better to have this drink slightly warm and not cold. I usually make it ready in the morning and have it through the day.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!