Our festivals and celebrations are incomplete without desserts. And we have so many different varieties of halwas, kheers, burfis and laddus in India, apart from all the other different kinds of sweets. And we can make some really delicious sweets from fruits, vegetables, grains and pulses. Kheer is a sweet and creamy dish that is loved by all.
Traditionally, Rice Kheer is made by boiling milk and rice together on low to medium heat, stirring continuously, till the rice cooks. It is a slow and time consuming process. But now with pressure cookers and instant pots, making rice kheer has become so much more easier. This Instant Pot Rice Kheer recipe really comes handy on days when you do not have much time in hand and multiple chores to do. You just need to add all the ingredients to the insta pot, select the mode and time and then let the cooking happen. So while you are busy getting everything else ready for the festivities and celebrations, you don’t have to worry about how your kheer is getting cooked.
So while you might have always made rice kheer in the traditional, no harm in trying out this quick and easy recipe, that might just come handy when you are running short of time and really want something sweet to be made at home.
Insta Pot Rice KheerCourse: DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Rice Kheer is a sweet and creamy dish that is loved by people of all ages!
Basmati Rice – ½ cup
Water – ¼ cup
Milk – 1 litre
Sugar – ½ cup
Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp
Chopped dry fruits and raisins
Salt – a tiny pinch
- Wash the rice thoroughly and then soak it for about half an hour.
- Turn on the Hamilton Beach Electric Pressure Cooker and select the saute mode and set the timer to 8 minutes.
- Add water into the stainless steel 5.7L pot and let it heat up.
- Once the water is hot, add the milk to this. This step of adding water ensures that the milk does not burn when getting cooked.
- Once the milk is hot, add the soaked rice along with sugar, cardamom powder and dry fruits of your choice. Give it all a good mix and close the Hamilton Beach Electric Pressure Cooker.
- Cancel the saute mode and select the rice function from the preset menu. Rice Kheer uses the low pressure mode for cooking perfectly.
- Set the timer to 10 min and let the kheer cook till you hear the beep. Turn it off and let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure is released, open the Electric Pressure Cooker and mix the kheer well. Add a pinch of salt at this stage and mix it all again and the rice kheer is ready.