Instant Rava Cake is a quick and easy breakfast or a tea time snack which can be made in a jiffy. In this recipe, I have recreated the colors of our tri color flag – orange, white and green.
These are made with Rava or semolina. They are soft, fluffy steamed savoury cakes that can also be served with a side of some green chutney or ketchup. They go as perfect finger food for toddlers and great healthy ideas for kid’s parties too.
On Independence Day or Republic Day, if you wish to make an easy breakfast with your little, then this is the perfect recipe. You can involve your kids to mix up the batter.
Tricolor Instant Rava Steamed CakeCourse: SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
An instant steamed cake made in the colors our tricolor!
Rawa/Sooji/Semolina – 1.5 cups
Curd – 1 cup (add a tbsp or two more if mixture looks dry)
Salt – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1.5 tsp
Green chilli – 1, finely chopped
Ginger – 1/2-inch piece, finely chopped
Carrot – 1 medium size, pureed
Green Chutney – 3-4 tbsp
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp for each layer
Water as needed
Oil for greasing
- For tempering
Hing – a pinch
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Green Chilli – 2-3
- Mix together rawa, salt and curd till well combined. It will have a very soft dough like consistency. Keep it aside for 15-20 min to soften.
- Meanwhile, puree the carrot with a little water till its soft. Chop the green chilli and ginger and keep it aside too.
- Once rawa is soft, add sugar, green chili and ginger to it and mix well.
- Divide it into 3 bowls. Add 1/4 cup water into one bowl and mix it to a lump free medium thickness batter.
- Into another bowl, mix the carrot puree to the same batter thickness. And into the third bowl, add the green chutney and mix well.
- Grease the steaming dish with some oil You can also line it with parchment paper. Add 1/4 tsp baking soda to the green layer and mix well. Pour it into the prepared dish and steam for 5 min. Add 1/4 tsp baking soda to the white layer and mix well and pour it over the green layer and steam for 5 more min. Repeat the same with the orange layer and steam for 10-15 min. A toothpick inserted will come clean when done. Remove from heat and let it cool down properly before unmoulding.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the hing, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves and green chilli into it and then add the hot tempering on the steamed cake. Serve with some green chutney or tamarind chutney.