Pop Tarts are rectangular pastries which have a sweet filling inside. It was introduced by Kellogg’s and were sold pre-cooked, supposed to be toasted in a toaster or oven. They also come with a flavoured glaze which makes it even more delicious.
These glazed berry pop tarts can be made easily at home with a home made pastry dough. And for the filling you can choose a compote, a preserve or a jam of you choice. Here I have used a rasberry jam for the filling and then I have glazed these tarts with a sugar glaze to make them look prettier.
You can freeze these pop tarts without the glaze and then just pop them in your oven heat up whenever you wish to have them. The filling can be changed as per what you have available with you and with flavours you love.
Glazed Berry Pop TartsCourse: DessertCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Easy
Pop a handmade berry tart in the oven for a gourmet riff on the toaster favorite.
- For the tarts
Flour – 1.5 cups
Fine/Granulated Sugar – 2 tbsp
Baking Powder – 1.5 tsp
Baking Soda – ¾ tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Butter – 75 gms, cold and cut into small cubes
Buttermilk – ½ cup
Milk – a little for brushing
- For filling
Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
- For glaze
Powdered Sugar – ½ cup
Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
Milk – 2 tsp
Pink food color – 1-2 drops (optional)
Icing Sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 220C. Line a baking tray and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- To this add the cubes of butter and rub it into the flour with your fingers till it resembles bread crumbs and there are no more visible cubes of butter.
- To this, add the buttermilk little by little and knead well into a smooth dough.
- Transfer this onto a flat surface and roll it into a 15×10 inch rectangle. Cut into 12 rectangular pieces.
- On each piece, spread a little jam in the centre. Apply a little milk or water on all sides and fold it and press the edges firmly.
- Using a fork, make marks on all sides of the tart. Place this on a baking tray and brush it with a little milk all over.
- Bake this for 15-20 min at 220C till golden brown.
- While the tarts are baking, whisk together sugar, vanilla essence, milk and food color to make the glaze and keep it aside.
- Once the tarts are baked, take it out of the oven and let it cool down.
- Drizzle the glaze on top and then sprinkle with some icing sugar and serve.