A healthy and quick evening snack recipe using oats. Oats chivda can be packed for the kids’ snack box too.
If you like munching healthy snacks then this crunchy and spicy Oats Chivda is just for you. It is an Indian inspired Chivda or a trail mix that is made using roasted oats, some healthy nuts and a few spices to give a tongue tickling spicy and sweet taste.
Chivda is generally made using puffed or flattened rice. But this is my twist to that recipe to make it healthier.. So get ready for some guilt-free snacking!
Oats ChivdaCourse: SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Chivda is a Namkeen which generally is a mix of different ingredients.
Rolled Oats – 1 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Dry/Fresh Coconut bits – 1 tbsp
Hing/Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
Green Chilli – 2, split
Curry Leaves – a few
Peanuts – ¼ cup
Cashews – 1 tbsp
Raisins – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp (adjust as per taste)
Amchur Powder – ½ tsp
Chaat Masala – ½ tsp
Fine or Powdered Sugar – ½ tsp
- Dry roast the oats in a pan or kadai till crunchy. Remove it from heat and keep it aside.
- In the same pan or kadai, add some oil.
- Once the oil heats up, add the coconut bits to it and fry till golden brown.
- To this, add the hing, green chilli and curry leaves and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add the peanuts and fry till they start splitting.
- Next, add the cashews and fry till they start changing color.
- Add the raisins and give it a quick stir and then add the turmeric powder, salt, amchur powder and chaat masala and mix well.
- Add the roasted oats to this and mix everything well.
- Finally, add the sugar and give it a quick mix and take it off heat.
- Store this in an airtight container once it cools down completely.