This low in fat but high in flavour, easy and quick Ragi Vegetable Uthappam recipe is one of the most healthy recipes. Uthappam’s are crispy and filled with veggies. Usually they’re topped with onions but this is a veggie version as the name suggests.
This makes for a perfect breakfast option to start your day with carbs, vitamins and fibre to power you through the day.
This Ragi Uthappam recipe was shared by Dr. Varuna Rao, who has a PhD in Food Science and Nutrition, and over 13 years of experience in the field – specializing in target group-based nutrition campaigns, content creation, new product development, consumer insight, menu planning, awareness workshops, wellness related expertise and helps individuals and corporates, embrace healthy regimes. You can reach out to her on her Instagram page –https://www.instagram.com/dr.varunarao.
Finger Millet (Ragi) Vegetable UthappamCourse: BreakfastCuisine: South Indian
A unique and tasty South-Indian breakfast recipe.
Ragi Flour – ¾ cup
Rice Flour – ¼ cup
Semolina – ¼ cup
Cumin – ½ tsp, crushed
Peppercorns – ¼ tsp, crushed
Green Chilli – 1, chopped fine
Ginger – ½ inch piece, chopped fine
Salt – as per taste
Curd – 1 cup
Water – ½-1 cup, adjust for consistency
Carrot – 1, medium size, grated fine
Capsicum – ½, medium size, chopped fine
Onion – 1 small, chopped fine
Curry Leaves – a few, chopped fine
Coriander Leaves – a few, chopped fine
Step by Step Process
- In a bowl, mix together ragi flour, rice flour, semolina, crushed cumin and peppercorns, green chilli, ginger and salt.
- To this, add the curd and mix.
- Next, add water to bring it to a dosa batter consistency.
- Keep this aside for 15-20 min so that the flours absorb the liquid.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
- In a bowl, mix together the grated carrot, chopped capsicum, onion, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Heat a dosa tawa properly and grease it with a little oil.
- If your uthappam batter looks very thick, add a little more water to adjust.
- Pour a ladle full of batter onto the hot tawa and spread it a little.
- Add a little of the chopped vegetables on top of the batter and let it cook.
- Once the edges start browning a little, flip it over and cook further.
- Transfer the cooked uthappam to a serving plate and serve it with a side of chutney.