Shikanji is a lemon-based drink originating in the northern part of India. A blessing in the scorching heat. It’s easy, its refreshing and its kids’ favourite. It is a drink which is also widely consumed during the fasting time. When making it during fasting time, rock salt is added instead of common salt and that is how I have made this recipe too.
Shikanji (Make with rock salt)Course: DrinksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A refreshing drink to beat the heat this summer.
- For Shikanji Masala
Roasted Cumin Powder – 1 tbsp
Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
Black Salt – 1 tsp (skip if making during vrat/fasting time)
Rock Salt – 1 tsp (can replace with common salt too)
- For Shikanji
Lemon Juice – 4 tbsp (from 2 lemons)
Powdered /Granulated Sugar – 4 tbsp (adjust as per taste)
Water – 1 cup
Ice – a few cubes
Soda – 1 cup
Mint Leaves – a few for garnish
Step by Step Process
- Mix together the shikanji masala and keep it aside.
- In a glass, add the lemon juice, sugar, water and mix well till sugar is dissolved.
- Add 2 tsp of the shikanji masala to this and stir well.
- Add a few ice cubes in two glasses.
- Fill half of it with the lemon juice mixture.
- Top it up with soda and garnish with a few mint leaves.