Szechuan sauce is a uniquely flavoursome, delicious, hot and spicy sauce made with red chillies, garlic, ginger, onion and vinegar. This homemade sauce is a simple way to spice things up! Add it to noodles, fried rice or grilled chicken for the real zing.
Foods flavoured with szechuan sauce are most loved. This flavoursome sauce goes really well as a condiment with a lot of snacks and appetisers too.
Szechuan SauceCourse: DipsCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
Spicy Szechuan Sauce
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ginger – 1/2-inch piece, chopped fine
Garlic – 8-10 cloves, chopped fine
Onion – 1 small, chopped fine
Soy Sauce – 1/2 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 8, deseeded, soaked in hot water for 8-10 min and ground to a fine paste with some water
Tomato Ketchup – 2 tsp
Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp, as needed
Water – enough to cook the sauce
- In a pan, add some oil and heat it.
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry till golden brown.
- Add the chopped onions to it and fry till golden brown.
- To this, add soya sauce, vinegar, red chilli paste, tomato ketchup, pepper powder, salt and sugar and mix well.
- Add a little water and cook till the sauce is cooked through and reduced.
- Keep this Szechuan sauce refrigerated in a clean bottle.