Sweets are an integral part of our festivals. Some traditional sweets require time, effort and patience to prepare while some are quick and easy. And sometimes, we also look for cheat recipes which give us flavours close to the traditional recipes of sweets, but are much easier and quicker to make. And I personally keep looking for such recipes..:)
Coconut Burfi is a sweet which is prepared across India. And the traditional way to make it is to cook together the milk and freshly grated coconut together till milk is reduced and coconut is cooked through. And then sugar is added and it is cooked further. This process does take some time. Also, if you do not have easy access to freshly grated coconut, then again you have a challenge on how to prepare this sweet during a festival time.
And that’s where this Instant Coconut Burfi will come handy. Just a few ingredients and less than 15 min of time and you have your coconut burfi which is very close in taste to the one prepared using freshly grated coconut!
Instant Coconut BurfiCourse: SweetsCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Make coconut burfi in less than 15 min
Dessicated Coconut – 2 cups
Condensed Milk – ¾ cup
Milk – ¾ cup
Ghee – 2 tsp
Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp
Almonds, cashews, pistachios – a few each, chopped fine
- In a kadai, mix together the dessicated coconut, condensed milk, milk and ghee.
- Turn on the heat and cook for 5-7 minutes till the excess moisture from the milk is no longer there and the mixture comes together nicely.
- At this stage, you will see that the coconut mixture has started leaving the sides of the kadai and comes together nicely.
- Turn off the heat and transfer this to a greased plate (or a dish lined with parchment paper/aluminum foil) and press it evenly.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts on top and press well.
- Cut into desired shape using a knife and then let it cool down and set properly before separating the pieces. You will need to refrigerate this burfi so that it sets well before you separate the pieces.