Thoran is a general malayalam word used for a stir-fry which has grated coconut added to it. Thoran preparations made using different vegetables is a part of our regular meals. It makes for a good side dish with rice. Though thoran typically refers to a vegetable stir-fry, but it isn’t uncommon to make a thoran using lentils as well as non-vegetarian items.
Carrot and beans are a great combination for any stir fry dish. And these vegetables are available all year round too here. When making a thoran, vegetables are usually diced into small cubes or shredded and they are cooked to retain their crunchiness a little. Addition of grated coconut gives the dish a little moisture as well as a little bit of sweetness.
Every Onam sadya will have one or two varieties of thoran in it. Carrot and beans, cabbage, long beans are all different options for thoran in a sadya.
What we call thoran in Kerala is also called as poriyal in Tamil Nadu. And am sure there will be similar dishes, called differently, in some of the other Indian states as well.
Carrot and Beans ThoranCourse: SidesCuisine: Indian, KeralaDifficulty: Easy
A mildly spicy stir fry of carrot and beans with grated coconut added to it
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Onion – one small size, finely chopped
Green Chilli – 1, slit
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Salt – as per taste
Carrots – 2 medium size, cut into small cubes
Beans – 10-12, sliced small
Grated Coconut – ½ cup
Pepper Powder – as per taste
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Once it splutters, add the finely chopped onion and green chilli and saute till onions are translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt and then add the chopped carrots and beans.
- Stir it well, bring it all together, sprinkle a little water and keep it covered and cook till the vegetables are cooked half way through.
- At this stage, remove the lid, add the grated coconut in the centre and cover it partially with the vegetables.
- Cover with a lid and continue cooking for another couple of minutes.
- Finally, add some pepper powder and mix well and turn off the heat.