It is often said that you should start your day with a wholesome breakfast. I often search for different breakfast recipes that my family will find interesting and eat happily. Having stayed in Bangalore all these years, I was introduced to Akki Roti by a friend of mine. And I had instantly liked it. That’s how I had tried it out at home.
Akki Roti is a rice flour based flat bread, which is a specialty of the state of the Karnatake. Akki Roti translates to rice bread in kannada. It is made by kneading fine rice flour into a soft dough. Akki Roti is not usually rolled out using a rolling pin. Instead, it is spread using the fingers on a banana leaf or butter paper.
Akki Roti is usually flavoured with chopped dill and coriander leaves. That gives it it’s unique taste. In case you don’t have dill leaves, adding just coriander leaves is fine too. Akki Roti is usually cooked on a tawa with oil or ghee added to it. And it tastes best when served hot with some chutney.
Akki RotiCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Indian, KarnatakaDifficulty: Moderate
A rice flour flat bread recipe from Karnataka
Rice Flour – 1 cup
Grated Carrot – a small one
Onion – 1 medium size, chopped fine
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, chopped
Dill leaves – 2 tbsp, chopped
Ginger – ½ inch piece, chopped fine
Green Chilli – 1-2, chopped fine
Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
Water – ½ cup, add as needed
Banana leaf or butter paper or plastic sheet
Step by Step Process
- Mix together the rice flour, carrot, onion, coriander and dill leaves, ginger, green chilli, cumin seeds and grated coconut.
- Rub it all well with your fingers so that water released from the onions and leaves is absorbed into the flour.
- Then, add water little by little and make it into a soft and smooth dough.
- The quantity of water needed will vary depending upon the quality of rice flour.
- Grease a banana leaf or butter paper or plastic sheet with some oil.
- Pinch a medium size ball from the dough and using your fingers, flatten it evenly. It should neither be too thick nor too thin.
- Make a few holes in the centre and then invert the akki roti onto a hot tawa.
- Add ghee or oil and cook it evenly on both sides.
- Serve hot with a chutney of your choice.