I wait for summer season to arrive to eat mangoes. I am sure many of you will relate to this as well. Summer time is associated with mangoes, ice-creams, cold shakes etc. And kulfi is said to be our traditional Indian ice-cream.
Making the basic kulfi is pretty simple. Its essentially milk reduced and sweetened, flavoured as desired and then frozen. Kulfis are typically set in a conical shaped moulds or in small matkas (and these are called matka kulfis). The ways you can flavour kulfi is just endless – your imagination is the limit.
The recipe I am sharing here with all of you is of a kulfi which is set inside a mango. Yeah, you heard me right! You stuff a mango with the kulfi mixture and freeze it. And then you peel the mango and slice it into discs or wedges. It is very easy to make, but definitely needs some patience and you will find out why..:)
Stuffed Mango KulfiCourse: DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A perfect dessert for the hot summer months!
Milk – 500 ml (Full cream preferred)
Sugar – 1.5-2 tbsp
Pistachios – ½ tbsp, crushed
Ripe Mangoes – 2 medium size
Chopped pistachios for garnish
Step by Step Process
- Boil together the milk and sugar till it reduces to about 1/3rd of the initial quantity and thickens a little.
- Keep stirring so that any cream around the edges is scraped through and added back to the milk. You need to be patient at this stage and make sure you keep stirring and do not burn the milk!
- Once done, add the crushed pistachios to this and keep it aside. You need to let this cool completely. Keep stirring in between so that there is no cream formation on top.
- For stuffing the mangoes, make sure you wash the mangoes properly.
- Then cut the top of the mango (keep it separate) and using a thin knife try to go around the seed to loosen it.
- You can then use a spoon to go all around the mango seed to loosen it. Slowly, using your fingers or with tongs, remove the seed.
- Scrape out whatever flesh is there on the seeds and put it back inside the mangoes.
- Fill the inside of mango with the kulfi mix. Cover with the top and keep it refrigerated for about 12 hours till set properly. And this is why you need more patience..:)
- Once frozen, peel the skin and then slice it into discs or cut it into wedges.
- Garnish with some chopped pistachios and serve cold.