One of the easiest noodle recipes to make is a vegetable hakka noodles. I like adding different vegetables while making noodles to make it a really colorful meal.
Vegetable Hakka Noodles is usually a non spicy or very mildly spiced noodle dish, hence becomes an apt main course for younger kids. The recipe I am sharing is a slightly spicier variant. So, if you wish to make it less spicy, you can reduce / skip the green chillies and red chilli sauce.
This is again another one of those popular ‘Indo-Chinese’ dishes. It is a good lunch-box meal option for kids and adults alike!!!
Few things to keep in mind
- Prepare before hand: Make sure all your veggies are cut before you start the cooking process. For noodles, the vegetables are cut long and thin. The entire cooking for this noodles doesn’t take too much of time. So having everything chopped and ready makes life a lot easier!
- High heat: The vegetables used in any Indo-Chinese dish are not cooked thoroughly. They are sauted on a high heat so that they are cooked enough and at the same time maintain their crunchiness.
- Hakka Noodles – 150 gms
- Garlic – 3 – 4 cloves, sliced thinly
- Onions – 1 medium, sliced thinly
- Green Chillies – 1 or 2, slit in the centre (can reduce the qty or skip this to reduce the level of spiciness)
- Cabbage – 1/4th cup, thinly sliced
- Carrot – 1/2 of a medium carrot, thinly sliced
- Bell Peppers (green, yellow and red mixed) – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
- Spring onions – a few, thinly sliced
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Soya Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilli Sauce – 2 tsp
- Red chilli sauce or red chilli paste – 1 tsp (can reduce the qty or skip this to reduce the level of spiciness)
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Regular Cooking Oil
Step by Step Process
- Cook the noodles with a little salt as per the instructions on the pack.
- Drain the noodles once done and toss it with a little oil and keep it aside. This will prevent the noodles from sticking to each other.
- While your noodles are getting prepared, in a wok, heat a little oil and add the garlic till fragrant.
- Next, add the onions and green chilies and saute till the onions are lightly translucent.
- To this, add the cabbage, carrots, capsicum and spring onion whites and saute continuously on high flame for about 3 – 5 till half done, but yet crunchy. Make sure the veggies are not burnt.
- Add the vinegar and all the sauces and saute for a min.
- Next, add the noodles and toss it around well with the vegetables and sauces. Drizzle a little oil if the noodles seem to stick together.
- Season with some pepper.
- Add salt if required. Since all the sauces contain salt, there may not be any additional salt required.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot!
This vegetable hakka noodles can be had just by itself or with any Indo-Chinese dry or gravy side dish of your choice.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!