If you love cinnamon rolls, but have not attempted making it at home as you think it is a little complicated, then this Cinnamon Roll Cake recipe will come to your rescue. This has the flavours of a cinnamon roll, but with a cake-like texture and looks impressive and festive with the sugar glaze on top!
When I was thinking of options for the first recipe for 2023, I knew I wanted to share a cake recipe as cakes are my favourite recipes to make. And cinnamon rolls is something everyone loves in the family. And hence, tried out this cake recipe. It was an instant hit not just with us but also with our friends who tasted it.
This cake recipe is easy to make and while the cake it baking, you can prepare the sugar glaze too. I have shared a very basic sugar glaze recipe, but you can always make it even better by drizzling a cream cheese sugar glaze too. So let’s start the new year on a sweet note!
Cinnamon Roll CakeCourse: CakesDifficulty: Moderate
An easy to make cake with a crunchy sweet cinnamon top and a sugar glaze.
- For the topping
Unsalted Butter – 1/4 cup, soft at room temperature
Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup
All Purpose Flour – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon Powder – 1/2 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/4 tsp
Salt – a tiny pinch
- For the cake
Egg – 1
Buttermilk – 3/4 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Sugar – 6 tbsp
All Purpose Flour – 1.5 cups
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
- For the glaze
Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
Milk – 2-3 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
- Whisk together all ingredients for the topping – butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon powder, vanilla essence and salt – and keep it aside.
- For the cake, whisk together egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla essence along with the sugar.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into it till combined. Transfer this to a lined 7-inch cake tin.
- Spoon the topping and gently swirl it around with a spoon, fork or spatula to mix with just the top part of the batter.
- Bake at 180C for 35 – 38 min till cake is done and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla essence for the glaze. Once the cake is baked, let it cool down for 10-15 min.
- Unmould and pour the sugar glaze all over and serve warm.