“Semiya” is a South Indian word meaning “vermicelli” & “upma” is a South Indian breakfast made usually with semolina or rawa. So Semiya Upma is a variation of the Rawa Upma and usually has more vegetables added to it, making it a healthy breakfast as well as snack option.
Semiya Upma is made with thin vermicelli along with vegetables of choice. The vegetables are sautéed and cooked along with some basic spices and then the vermicelli is added it. It is all cooked together in water till the vermicelli is cooked and is soft and fluffy.
Due to the different vegetables added to it, Semiya Upma makes for a healthy breakfast as well as lunch box meal for the kids. You can serve it with some ketchup, though I always feel that this is quite flavourful by itself. This recipe is an easy one to make in the mornings to pack for school tiffins.
Semiya UpmaCourse: Breakfast, SnacksCuisine: South IndianDifficulty: Easy
Semiya Upma is a variation of the Rawa Upma and usually has more vegetables added to it, making it a healthy breakfast as well as snack option.
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Ginger – 1/2-inch piece, chopped
Green Chilli – 1 or 2, chopped or slit
Onion – 1 medium, chopped
Salt – 1 tsp
Potato – 1 medium, cubed
Carrot – 1 small, cubed
Green Peas – 1/4 cup
Thick Vermicelli / Semiya – 1 cup
Hot Water – 1.5 cups
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp (optional)
Few fried cashews or peanuts
Coriander leaves for garnish
- Add oil to a kadai and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and curry leaves and let them splutter.
- Next, add green chilli and ginger. Saute for a couple of minutes till fragrant.
- Add the onion and salt and saute till onion is translucent. To this, add potato and carrot and saute for a couple of minutes till half cooked.
- Add the peas and vermicelli and saute for a min or two. Add hot water to this and mix well. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Cook covered till water is absorbed and vermicelli is cooked and soft.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix. Turn off the heat and keep it covered for 5-10 min. Fluff it up using a fork.
- Top with fried cashews or peanuts and serve.