Egg being the wonderful source of proteins can be used to make many delicious dishes. One such amazing dish is that of Egg Curry where boiled eggs are just simmered in spicy masala gravy. It has a nice tangy taste of tomatoes coupled with the flavors and taste of the spices that are used.
You can always use leftover eggs from the breakfast or a party and toss it in a curry when you don’t feel like cooking elaborate dishes but still like to have a delicious, scrumptious meal for dinner.
This egg curry can be paired with rice, rotis or dishes like appam, pathiri and noolappam. I love to add a lot of onions while making this egg curry and I feel that it gives it an added flavour.
Egg CurryCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A tangy curry with a slight sweetness from the onions – this egg curry is surely going to be a hit in your family!
Ginger – 1-inch piece, sliced
Garlic – 8-10 cloves, sliced
Curry Leaves – a sprig
Green Chili – 2, slit
Onion – 3 large, sliced
Salt – as per taste
Tomato – 3 medium, chopped
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp
Sugar – ¼ tsp (optional)
Hot Water – as needed for gravy
Eggs – 3, boiled and peeled
- In coconut oil, add the ginger and garlic and saute for a couple of seconds.
- To this, add the curry leaves and green chili and fry till the ginger and garlic start changing color.
- To this, add the onion along with some salt and fry till onion starts changing color to a light-brown shade.
- Next, add the tomatoes and fry till its cooks and the raw smell is no longer there.
- Add turmeric power, chili powder and coriander powder and fry the spices well till the oil starts separating. At this stage, add the garam masala powder, pepper powder and sugar along with some hot water to make a thick gravy of desired consistency.
- Score the boiled and peeled eggs or slice into halves and add it to the gravy. Cook this for a few minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.