Phirni is a classic Indian dessert made with milk, rice and sugar as the basic ingredients. Thandai Phirni is a twist to the original recipe, with the addition of Thandai spice mix. The thandaai masala is a blend of powdered nuts like almonds and cashews along with melon seeds and have flavours of fennel, cardamom, pepper and rose petals. It has many different flavours coming together in this spice blend. The thandaai masala can be prepared in advance and kept refrigerated and can be used to give an interesting flavour twist to traditional desserts like this phirni along with of course making the thandaai milk for Holi!
Serve Thandai Phirni this Holi and enjoy with your friends and family!
Thandai PhirniCourse: DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Phirni is an easy traditional Indian rice pudding which is prepared with full cream milk, basmati rice and sugar as the main ingredients.
Basmati Rice – ¼ cup
Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – ¼ cup
Saffron – a few strands
Thandai Masala Powder – 2 tbsp
Dry Fruits for Garnish
- For making thandai masala powder
Almonds – 5-6
Cashews – 5-6
Melon Seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Poppy Seeds/Khus Khus – 1 tsp
Peppercorns – 2-3
Cardamom – 4 pods
Dried Rose Petals – 1 tsp
- Soak basmati rice for 20-30 min, drain the water and then powder it coarse.
- Soak the saffron in some milk and keep it aside.
- Add the coarse rice powder into a kadai and slowly add the milk to this and keep stirring to avoid any lumps. Turn on the heat and cook this till the rice cooks and the milk mixture thickens.Add the sugar, saffron milk and thandai masala powder to it and cook further.
- When the phirni is thick, turn off the heat. It will thicken further as it cools down.
- Garnish with dry fruits and serve hot or cold.