These Cheese and Pesto Whirls or Pinwheels are just the perfect snack for a picnic or a get-together. Their fillings are baked into them, so unlike sandwiches, they won’t go soggy. They also pair well with a soup.
They make a great appetizer, snack or brunch. With readymade puff pastry, these pinwheels are a breeze to make. I have used two different flavours of pesto in this recipe, but you can totally customize the filling as per your choice and liking.
These rolls also freeze well. Once you cut the pinwheels, you can freeze them and keep. And then when you need, you can bake them and serve.
Cheese and pesto whirlsCourse: SnacksDifficulty: Easy
Perfect for a picnic or for dipping into soup!
- Preheat the oven at 200C for 15 min.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet and unroll it as per the instructions on the package.
- Along the long edge, start spreading the basil and red pepper pesto in alternate strips, leaving a small part at the opposite edge free.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts on top and then top it up with mozzarella cheese.
- Start rolling into a tight roll along the long edge and seal the edges.
- Brush a little milk on top of the roll and sprinkle with some nigella seeds or black sesame seeds.
- Cut the roll into half inch thick slices.
- Arrange the pinwheels on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Apply some more milk on all the pieces.
- Bake at 200C for 20-25 min till the pinwheels are a golden-brown color.
- Serve with a dip or some ketchup.