Festive and flavorful homemade Eggless Christmas Cake is bursting with cheerful holiday spices and delicious rum and soaked fruits and nuts. It’s a classic Christmas recipe that makes a light, crumbly, and perfectly moist Christmas cake that you’ll love to enjoy and share all season. No eggs needed!
Making Christmas Cake at home has always been a tradition. As kids, we would help with making the cake batter much before Christmas and then mom will pour rum over them and store it, to be served for Christmas to our guests. The best part for us while making the cake was licking that cake batter at the end…;)
Making Christmas Cake the traditional way always needs some pre-prep. The dry fruits have to be soaked well in advance so that they absorb the flavours well. You can check my recipe to understand how to soak dry fruits for the Christmas Cake. Also make sure you have the cake spice made before you start making the batter..:)
Eggless Christmas CakeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Moderate
Traditional Christmas Cake is a yummy cake made by soaking dried fruits and nuts in rum or wine, and mixing with fragrant spices in a simple from-scratch batter.
Butter – 150 gms
Sugar – ¾ up
Buttermilk – ½ cup
All Purpose Flour – 1+1/3 cup
Baking Powder – ¾ tsp
Cake Spice Mix – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Soaked Fruits – 300 gms
Rum for sprinkling
- For caramelization
Sugar – ½ cup
Hot Water – ¼ cup
- Preheat the oven at 170C for 15 min. Line a 7- or 8-inch cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a pan, add the sugar and heat it till it melts and turns a golden brown color. The darker the color, more bitter the caramel.
- As it starts bubbling and frothing up, add the hot water to stop further cooking of the caramel and take it off heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar till creamy and smooth.
- Add the buttermilk to this and whisk well.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, cake spice mix and salt. Fold in these dry ingredients to the cake batter.
- Once all the dry ingredients are well incorporated in the batter, add the vanilla essence and cooled caramel and mix well.
- To this, add the soaked fruits and mix.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin. Bake it at 170C for 75-80 min till the top looks done and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, sprinkle rum on top and let the cake cool down.
- Store the cake cling wrapped and keep feeding rum every couple of days or cover it in a muslin cloth soaked in rum and store it.