This fun combination of ingredients comes together beautifully in one flavor-packed dish. Ripe, juicy pears poached in red wine is the center piece of this salad. The sweet and tangy dressing brings together all the ingredients into a great side dish.
I have chosen to use apples along with some cranberries for this salad. The pair is poached in red wine steeped with spices so that gives it a nice kick. The dressing is kept simple so that the flavour of poached pear really sings through. You have different textures and different tastes which hit your palette when you take a spoonful of this salad.
I have kept this salad on the sweeter side making it a great accompaniment with grilled meat. It can easily be a hit at the next party you host!
Poached Pear and Apple SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: ContinentalDifficulty: Easy
Poached Pear and Apple Salad is a great salad to go with your grilled meat. The poached pear gives this dish a totally mouthwatering flavour, rich in warm spices.
Pear – 1, cored, peeled and cut into wedges
Water – ½ cup
Red Wine – ½ cup
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Ginger – ½ inch piece, crushed
Cranberries – 2 tbsp
Lettuce Leaves – a few
Pomegranate Kernels – 2 tbsp
Apple – ½, cut into cubes
Almonds/Walnuts – 2 tbsp, roughly chopped
Feta or Cottage Cheese – crumbled, for topping
- For dressing
Honey – 2 tbsp
Olive Oil – ½ tbsp
Apple Cider Vinegar – 2-2.5 tbsp
Salt and Pepper – as per taste
- Add the pear, water, wine, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and ginger in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low-medium heat till the pear is cooked and soft.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the cranberries and after a couple of minutes, take the pear and cranberries out and keep it aside.
- Mix together the honey, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper and keep it aside.
- In a serving bowl, add the lettuce leaves, pomegranate kernels, apple pieces, poached pear slices and cranberries.
- Drizzle the salad dressing on top.
- And top it with the chopped nuts and feta/cottage cheese.