Butter Rum Sauce is a buttery caramel-like-sauce that has the lovely flavor from the rum. Don’t worry it doesn’t taste like a cocktail as the liquor will boil out during cooking. It is made with 5 simple ingredients – butter, brown sugar, warm fresh cream, rum and some cinnamon to flavour it further.
It is perfect drizzled over cakes, brownies, sweet nachos, puddings, pancakes or just ice cream! Don’t blame me if you are spotted eating it by the spoonful..;)
Rum Sauce for Cakes and PuddingsCourse: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Sweet and buttery with a punch of rum. In my opinion, butter rum sauce is easier than homemade caramel, but tastes just as good and takes a fraction of the time to make.
Butter – ¼ cup (about 50 gms)
Brown Sugar – ½ cup
Warm Fresh Cream – ¼ cup (adjust as per consistency)
Cake Spice Mix/Cinnamon Powder – ¼-½ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Rum – 1.5 tbsp
- In a pan, melt the butter and add the brown sugar to it.
- Once the sugar melts, add the warm cream to it and stir well.
- Let it thicken a little.
- Finally, add the cake spice mix or cinnamon powder and rum and cook for another 2 min.
- Add more cream or milk if the consistency of the sauce is very thick.
- Turn off the heat and serve with cakes or puddings.