Butter Rum Sauce is a buttery caramel-like-sauce that has the lovely flavor from the rum. Don’t worry it doesn’t taste like a cocktail as the liquor will boil out during cooking. It is made with 5 simple ingredients – butter, brown sugar, warm fresh cream, rum and some cinnamon to flavour it further.
Rum Sauce for Cakes and PuddingsCourse: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Sweet and buttery with a punch of rum. In my opinion, butter rum sauce is easier than homemade caramel, but tastes just as good and takes a fraction of the time to make.
Butter – ¼ cup (about 50 gms)
Brown Sugar – ½ cup
Warm Fresh Cream – ¼ cup (adjust as per consistency)
Cake Spice Mix/Cinnamon Powder – ¼-½ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Rum – 1.5 tbsp
- In a pan, melt the butter and add the brown sugar to it.
- Once the sugar melts, add the warm cream to it and stir well.
- Let it thicken a little.
- Finally, add the cake spice mix or cinnamon powder and rum and cook for another 2 min.
- Add more cream or milk if the consistency of the sauce is very thick.
- Turn off the heat and serve with cakes or puddings.