Festivals in India means a lot of sweets..:) And many of our sweets are also made using milk or milk products. One such ingredient which is commonly used in a lot of Indian sweets is mawa (or khoya or khoa). The traditional method to prepare mawa is to reduce the milk till you have the milk solids left, so it definitely is a time consuming task.
So the next option is to either buy mawa or make it using an instant recipe. So here is the recipe of an instant mawa that you can make at home in less than 10 min. This recipe uses milk powder, so if you are using sweetened milk powder, then the mawa will also be sweet. Hence, when using for making sweets, do reduce the quantity of sweetener you add in the recipe.
Instant Mawa/Khoa/KhoyaCourse: SweetsCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Instant mawa in less than 10 min – perfect during festive season!
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Milk – ½ cup
Milk Powder – 1 cup
Step by Step Process
- In a pan, add the milk and ghee and mix it well.
- Once the ghee melts and milk comes to a slight boil, add the milk powder and mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Cook this on low flame till the mixture starts to thicken and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- It will slowly come together like a ball and also start releasing the ghee.
- Turn off the heat, remove from the pan and let it cool down completely.
- This can be kept refrigerated for a couple of days and use as needed.
- Do note that if your milk powder is sweet, the mawa/khoya you make will also be sweet. So when you use this to make sweets, do reduce the quantity of sugar or any other sweetener you use in that recipe accordingly.