The state of Tamil Nadu in Southern Indian can be very well called a land of variety rice preparations. You have so many different rice preparations that you can probably go for a couple of weeks without repeating any recipe..;) And all of these are quite simple to prepare but extremely flavorful. When you are running short of time to prepare an elaborate meal, a rice preparation like this comes really handy. A raita, some pickle and papad (if you want to go extravagant..:D) as a side is enough to make a full meal!
Tomato Rice is flavoured with tomatoes and hence has a little bit of tangy taste to it. Once you prepare the tomato base, rice is added little by little to ensure there is enough flavour in the tomato rice. Depending on the variety of tomatoes, the quantity of rice required could vary. And since this uses pre-cooked rice, it is a great way to use leftover rice too!
Tomato RiceCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A quick rice recipe which you can easily make with leftover rice!
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
Fennel Seeds – ¼ tsp
Cinnamon – ½ inch piece
Cloves – 2
Star Anise – 1
Green Cardamom – 1
Bay leaf – 1
Curry Leaves – a few
Cashews – a few
Onion – 1 medium size, chopped fine
Green Chilli – 1, slit
Ginger – ½ inch pc, chopped fine
Garlic – 3-4 cloves, chopped fine
Tomatoes – 3 large, chopped
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Cooked Rice – 2-2.5 cups
Coriander and Mint Leaves – a few, finely chopped
Step by Step Process
- Add oil to a kadai and once hot, add the mustard, cumin and fennel seeds. Let it crackle.
- To this, add the cinnamon, cloves, star anise, cardamom and bay leaf.
- Next, add the curry leaves and cashews and fry till the cashews are a light golden brown color.
- Add the onion, green chilli, ginger and garlic to this and fry till the onions are translucent.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes along with the salt and chilli powder and cook till the tomatoes are cook through and reduced. Keep stirring in between.
- Next add the rice little by little and continue stirring. Adjust the quantity of rice as per your taste.
- Finally, add the chopped coriander and mint leaves and serve hot with some onion and cucumber raita and papads.