Stir fry is my go-to dish when I am wondering how I can put together a meal quickly. Most stir-fries pair perfectly with some rice and you don’t really need anything else. I put in whatever vegetables and proteins I have together with a sauce of choice to have a delicious meal on the table in less than 30 min.
This tofu stir fry has a teriyaki flavoured sauce and like most stir fry dishes, you don’t have to spend a lot of time cooking the vegetables. The vegetables should retain their crunch, thus making it a really quick dish. The recipes calls for marination of tofu to help absorb the flavours better. But if you are wanting to make a quick meal, you can cook the tofu right away.
When Parina had shared this recipe with me for trials, she had insisted that I shouldn’t add the entire sauce into the dish. Some portion should be retained and poured on top at the time of serving. And that’s what I did and just loved it. This dish can be made with paneer, chicken or fish instead of tofu too.
Parina is certified in Personal Training from National Academy of Sports Medicine. With the the motto ‘Give More. Get More’, she designed NEIKI, her fitness program, wherein she strives to reduce injury risk and prepare our bodies to bear the impact they need to. On this excursion, her endeavour is to help people stand upright – physically and mentally.
It is not just recipes that Parina is sharing with us – it is a lot of other information too. Head over to my YouTube channel to see all that we discuss around food and nutrition! Cheers to a balanced and healthy start to 2021..:)
Tofu Stir FryCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
A quick and yummy stir fry which pairs great with rice.
Tofu – 200 gms
Soy Sauce – ¼ cup
Honey – 2 tbsp
Sesame Oil – ½ tsp
Garlic – 2 cloves, chopped fine
Ginger – ½ inch piece, chopped fine
Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp
Coconut Oil – 6 gms
Broccoli Florets – a few
Carrot – 1 small, diced
Yellow Bell Pepper – ½, diced
Salt – as per taste
Pepper – as per taste
Spring Onion Greens – a few, for garnish
Step by Step Process
- Wash the tofu well in water. Wrap it up in a cloth and keep it pressed down under a heavy pan or book for 15 min. Once done, cut into cubes.
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, honey and sesame oil. Mix well.
- To this add the ginger, garlic, sesame seeds and the sliced tofu.
- Mix well so that the marinade coats the tofu well. Keep this refrigerated for an hour if you have the time. That helps in better absorption of flavours. However, if you do not have time, you can proceed right away.
- In a pan, add 5 gms of coconut oil and fry the tofu till brown. Remove it and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining 1 gm of coconut oil and add the vegetables.
- Saute on high flame for a couple of minutes till the vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper as per taste.
- To this add the tofu and stir well.
- Add half of the leftover dressing and give it a quick stir.
- Garnish with spring onions and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with plain rice and drizzle the remaining dressing on top.
- Marination Time: Tofu absorbs flavours better if left for marination in the sauce for an hour. But if you leave it long, it’s texture might change upon cooking. If you do not have the time and want to make this quick, you can skip the marination.
2 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories364
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 16g 32%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.