This Mutton Stew recipe of mine is based on the traditional recipe from Kerala, but modified to suit the needs of those on Keto diet. Stew means slow cooking of meat in a liquid in a closed dish. So in this case, the liquid is coconut milk. The meat is pressure cooked and then allow to simmer in the coconut milk along with the spices which makes it really flavourful.
You can also check out my other Keto recipes here. You will find a range of vegetarian and non vegetarian keto options.
Few things to keep in mind
- Spice levels: This mutton stew is mildly spicy. If you wish to increase the spiciness, you can increase the quantity of green chillies used.
- Vegetables: Since I have shared this recipe as a keto one, I have not used any vegetables in this. However, to make it as a regular diet, you can include vegetables like carrots, beans, potatoes and green peas. These can be boiled and cooked and added to the stew along with the mutton.
- Mutton – 500 gms
- Ginger – 1/4 inch piece, crushed
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, crushed
- Green Chilli – 2, slit lengthwise
- Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Coconut Oil
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon Stick – 1/2 inch piece
- Whole Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 small, sliced
- Ginger – 1/4 inch piece, sliced
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, sliced
- Green Chilli – 1-2, slit lengthwise
- Curry Leaves – 10-12 leaves
- Coconut Milk – 2 cups
Step by Step Process
- In a pressure pan, add the cleaned mutton along with crushed ginger, garlic, green chilli, pepper powder and salt. Add 1 cup of water to this and pressure cook for a single pressure on high flame and then for 5-6 pressures on low flame. Turn off the heat and let the pressure release naturally.
- In a pan, heat some coconut oil. Add whole spices followed by onion.
- When the onion starts changing color, add the ginger, garlic, green chilli and curry leaves. Let it all fry together.
- Next, add the cooked mutton to this. Let it come to a boil and add half the coconut milk. Add salt as needed.
- Let it cook together for 5-7 min and then add the remaining coconut milk. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Serve it hot!