This coconut lemon lentil soup is a thick creamy soup and is a good option for anyone on a weight loss journey. Any combination with protein and Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) on a daily basis would be a good option for people on weight loss diet. And this soup is exactly that!
The recipe for this healthy breakfast option was shared by Anupama Menon (Food Coach and Nutritionist) and her team at Right Living, which is a health solutions firm based in Bangalore. You can get in touch with Anupama for your corporate as well as personal health goals through her instagram page https://www.instagram.com/iamanupamamenon.
Few things to keep in mind
- Lentils: We are using split red lentils (masoor dal) for this recipe. It cooks quickly and isn’t very heavy on the tummy too. Lentils are rich in proteins, thereby increasing satiety levels which keeps us feeling full longer.
- Coconut: Coconut is rich in medium chain triglycerides (MCT) which again helps decrease hunger pangs. They have also been shown to help decreased fat accumulation around the abdomen.
- Lemon: A dash of lemon helps improve metabolism and digestion adding onto the whole process of fat loss.
- Vegetable Stock: You can use vegetable stock or water in this recipe. If you prefer to use vegetable stock, then you can refer this recipe to make the same.
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Carrot – 1 small, chopped
- Garlic – 2, chopped fine
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Onion – 1 small, chopped
- Red Lentil – 1/2 cup, washed and drained
- Tomato Puree – 1/4 cup
- Water/Vegetable Stock – 1 cup for boiling, and more for adjusting consistency of the soup
- Red Chilli Flakes – a pinch, adjust as per taste
- Lime juice – 1/2 to 3/4 of a lime, adjust as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
Step by Step Process
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic and cook till translucent.
- Add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and red chilli powder and saute for half a minute.
- Next, add the red lentil and tomato paste and cook for another half a minute.
- Add 1 cup of water / vegetable stock and let it come to a boil. Pressure cook (you can cook it covered too, but it might take a little longer) for a single pressure and turn off the heat.
- Once the pressure is released completely, open the cooker and let the mixture cool down a bit.
- Add all the cooked ingredients to a blender and blend well.
- Bring the blended mix back to a boil and add the chill flakes, lime juice, salt and coconut milk and add water (or vegetable stock), as needed to adjust the consistency of the soup.
- This is a thick and creamy soup. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!